GWCC Green Facts
At the Georgia World Congress Center (GWCC), we strive to continually improve our operational efficiencies and preservation of resources by working with our internal and external partners and clients. The following items are highlights from FY12, including information about our campus as a whole – Georgia World Congress Center Authority, comprised of the Georgia World Congress Center, Georgia Dome and Centennial Olympic Park. To learn more about our ongoing efforts and how we help customers green their events, click on the pdfs and links to the right.
A few members of the GWCCA Green Team with City of Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed
during the 2012 Downtown Atlanta Earth Day Clean Up Challenge.
In FY12, the Georgia World Congress Center:
- Registered with the U.S. Green Building Council's (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Operations and Maintenance and is actively working toward certification
- International Plaza, which tops-off the seven story Red Parking Deck, was named the 6th largest green roof in the world
- Completed restroom renovations in Building A that included the installation of pint-flush urinals (0.125 gpf), low-flow toilets (1.28 gpf) and aerators on faucets
- Joined the Atlanta Better Buildings Challenge in a commitment to reduce energy and water consumption by 20% in ten years
- Replaced lighting in all 12 exhibit halls with more efficient fixtures, added lighting controls and installed motion sensors in offices and storage rooms, contributing to a 6.3% reduction in electrical consumption compared to the previous year
- Completed an ASHRAE Level I energy audit to help identify no and low cost energy efficiency improvements as well as larger capital projects to plan for in the future
We baled and recycled almost 60 tons of cardboard in FY12.
- Collected almost 900 tons of material for diversion from the landfill, a 9.1% increase over FY11
- Single-stream recycling: 167.854 tons (34% increase over FY11)
- Compost: 272.472 tons
- Cardboard baled: 59.961 tons
- Food donated: 168.988 tons
- Reused and recycled grease: 6.610 tons
- Pallets: 29.886 tons
- Durable goods (GovDeals, donated materials, etc.): 63.101 tons
- Metal: 52.324 tons
- Wire: 3.308 tons
- C&D: 73.93 tons
- Total diverted: 898.433 tons
- Average waste diverted: 32.3%
In FY12, the Georgia World Congress Center Authority campus:
A few members of the GWCCA Green Team visiting Waste Pro, our recycler.