New Stadium Construction Updates
As the Atlanta Falcons, GWCCA and City of Atlanta begin construction on a new world class stadium to replace the Georgia Dome, this page will contain all of the information that we are aware of that could potentially impact day-to-day activity or any event on the GWCCA Campus (Georgia Dome, Georgia World Congress Center or Centennial Olympic Park).
The New Falcons Stadium will be located directly south of the current Georgia Dome in area that was formerly known as the Orange lot and surrounding areas.
As with any construction project, timelines and schedule can change frequently. Please check back often for the most updated information.
**All dates are approximate and subject to change without notice**
January 20, 2014 - Traffic control signage will begin to be posted in the area south of the Georgia Dome to notify everyone of future road closures and detours.
January 27, 2014 - The brown lot will be closed and temporary fencing will be placed around the area.
February 3, 2014 -Georgia Power scheduled begin work on Northside Dr. and Mitchell St. to relocate infrastructure elements. This may include temporary lane closure (Approximately 100 feet at a time) in the northbound curb lane of Northside Dr and the south side curb lane of Mitchell St. The work will be ongoing until approximately April 27, 2014.
February 3, 2014 - MLK Jr. Drive between Centennial Olympic Park Dr. and Mt. Vernon Baptist Access Road will be closed from all traffic and detour routes will begin.Portions of Nelson St. will be converted into a two-way street as a detour route. MLK Detour Map
February 3, 2014 - Construction of a small parking lot will begin on Northside Drive, around Gate A. This will be the ticket office parking lot for daily business and will also be used for media live trucks during events.
February 4, 2014 - Mangum street will have lanes temporarily closed taking the road from four lanes down to two in order to safely demolish the MLK bridge. This should only impact the area under the MLK Bridge and the immediate vicinity. This project should be concluded by February 14, 2014.
February 25, 2014 - Lanes on portions Mangum street could be temporarily closed to allow for work by several utility companies that must relocate underground networks. At no time will Mangum Street be closed to through traffic.
March 17, 2014 - The demolition of Mt Vernon Church is scheduled to begin.
March 20, 2014 - Georgia Dome Orange Lot, Purple Lot and Silver lot are all closed. On non-event days, fans wishing to access the Georgia Dome or Falcons ticket office can park in the GOLD DECK and enter at Gate E.
March 24, 2014 - Georgia Dome Drive will be closed to all traffic.
April 15, 2014 Georgia Power schedule to resume work on Northside Dr. This will include temporary lane closures (Approximately 100 feet at a time), the road work will be ongoing until approximately August 2014.
April 23, 2014 The remaining eastbound lanes of MLK Drive will close from Northside Drive to the Mitchell St Connector. The westbound lanes were closed in February.
June, 2014 -All traffic on Mangum Street will be shifted to the temporary Mangum St. At no point will Mangum Street be closed to through traffic, though on occasion one or more lanes may be closed.
Fans or attendees to any event at the Georgia Dome or Georgia World Congress Center should expect the following:
- Attendees could face temporary lane closures on portions Northside Dr and Mitchell St. Only the northbound curb lane of Northside Dr. and the south side curb lane of Mitchell St. could potentially be closed.
- The GWCC. Orange Lot, Brown Lot, Purple Lot or Silver Lot is not available for parking.
- Georgia Dome Drive, Haynes St and the Mitchell St Connector will be closed to all traffic.
- Attendees accessing the campus from MLK Jr Dr. will be detoured down Nelson St to Northside Dr. MLK Jr. Dr. will be closed between Centennial Olympic Park Dr. and Mt. Vernon Baptist Access Road.
- Attendees will not be allowed to turn east from Northside Drive onto MLK Jr. Dr, they will instead be detoured down to Nelson street and up to the intersection of MLK Jr. Dr and Centennial Olympic Park Dr.
- Lanes of Marietta St NW could be temporarily closed in the area around the New College Football Hall of Fame construction project.